Global Organic Textile Standard - GOTS
All organic cotton clothes sold on the Upland Road website are GOTS certified.
The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the world's leading processing standard for textiles made from organic fibers (e.g. organic cotton clothing).
Textile companies whose products are GOTS-certified must comply with a high standard of environmental and social criteria. Organic textiles are examined along their entire life cycle, from farm to factory to consumer to disposal plan. This includes processing, manufacturing, packaging, labeling, trading and distribution. GOTS-certified companies must report on the status of their organic products regularly.
Some of the many criteria GOTS-certified textiles must meet include:
- Textiles labeled “organic” must consist of at least 95% organic fibers
- Textiles labeled “made with organic” must consist of at least 70% organic fibers
- Any dyes or chemicals used must meet environmental and toxicity standards
- Product packaging should consist of recycled material and non-toxic substances
- A functioning waste water treatment plant is mandatory for all water management
- Workers are provided with free, safe, and humane working conditions
For more-detailed information about the GOTS Standard, check this website: http://www.global-standard.org/the-standard/general-description.html